Thursday, July 19, 2012

{ in the next year }

10 days ago, I turned 27.  My birthday wasn't much to talk about.  It was a good day, after work the boys took me out to dinner and we had ice cream cake.

But for the past few days, I've been reflecting on this past year and where I thought I would be by my 27th birthday.  The reality is completely different.  I am thankful for all the lessons I learned in the last year.  If I hadn't had those lessons, I don't think I would be ready for this upcoming year.

This upcoming year is going to be our year of change.  We'll be welcoming our second child,  Evan will be starting Kindergarten, I'll be saying goodbye to Bailey, and we're moving.  I also hope this will be our year for growth for becoming a stronger family unit, a stronger marriage, closer to our Heavenly Father, and for me personally to grow as a wife, mother, and person.

I've made a list of what our lives are like in this next year.  Almost like a checklist to keep me motivated during all the messes and business that comes with life.  So here we go...

* Two very heathly and happy boys:  Luckly Evan has always been very healthy.  But I know that Evan doesn't handle change well (just like his mommy) and all these transitions are going to be stressful on his little body.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to help make these transitions as easy as possible on him by getting him involved in some sort of after school activity and one on one dates with both Mike and I.  As for Alex, everything is still up in the air.  Which makes planning things hard.  Thankfully, he's active and big.  My goal is to continue to grow him big and strong and make the best decisions for Alex's kidney that we can.

*A stronger marriage with a monthly date night:  With all the running around I feel like we will be doing this next year, I know that Mike and I will need time to devote to just working on our marriage.  So I'm hoping that once Alex is a couple months old, Mike and I will be able to find a regular sitter and be able to spend some one on one time without our boys.

*Being Financially Fit:  One of our number one goals is to be able to buy a house, and after reading Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey, I'm hooked.  So when I go back to work after materity leave, we are going to start working through the steps, including saving an emergency fund and working through the debt snowball before saving for a down payment on a house.  My goal is for us to be buying and moving into our very own home in the next 2 years.

*For us to move and make it feel like home:  We have outgrown the apartment we are in.  We've stayed longer than we should have simply because it made sense financially.  But now, it's time to find a place that is a little bigger and has a washer and dryer (seriously...that's my main requirement for a new place).  I also want to make this new place "a home".  I've never really decorated where we're currently at and I'm not really sure why.  But it's time to make an effort in making our new place feel like a haven for me and all my boys.

*To be down to my pre-pregnancy weight:  This includes losing the weight I gained when pregnant with Evan.  Already at almost 31 weeks, I've only gained 15 pounds, which will help in the long run.  But Mike and I have decided to start eating "cleanly" (little to no processed food) and when registrations open up for certain 5K's, we're going to sign up early just to give ourselves a goal and motivate us to work out.

*Mike in school:  Seriously it's time.  I've told Mike that in the Fall of '13, I hope to return to school at least part time.  So Mike needs to get a head start so one of us will graduate before the other (or we graduate at the same time.)

*Growing closer to Heavenly Father:  We've already started reading the scriptures each night before bed, but I'm hoping that we'll be able to start attending church and activities on a regular basis.  I'm also trying to institute family home evenings and nightly family prayer.

*Filling up my SD card on my camera (heck maybe even a "grownup" camera) each month:  I've realized this past year, I haven't nearly taken all the pictures that I normally do.  It's my goal to start documenting our lives more and get back into scrapbooking by making yearly family scrapbooks.  This will probably also include blogging and keeping up with my personal journal on a daily basis.

*And lastly...personal growth:  Personally having a better relationship with Heavenly Father and myself.  Putting myself out there more and becoming more active in the church and really reaching out to other mothers with kids the same age as Evan.  I also want to really learn how to stop comparing myself to others and simply love and live the life I have...because it really is a good one.

So here's to a good year...I know it's going to be a busy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment